picture

picture

Monday, February 3, 2014

What I'm Writing

Last fall I was introduced to the wonderful world of Nanowrimo.  What's that, you may ask?  National Novel Writing Month.  It happens every November, and it is a challenge to any and all writers to produce a rough draft novel in a mere thirty days.  I had never written a novel before, or even tried really, so this was all new turf for me!  I spent the months of September and October coming up with an idea to write about, doing some preliminary research and pounding out a rough outline.  I am not a pants-er.  You know, those people who can write a novel without any sort of plan where it's going?  So I knew I would have to have a road map.  What I didn't know (because how could I?) is that my average scene length was about 1,000 words.   My neat little outline said that the scenes would be 3,000 words.  Needless to say, I derailed from the outline, quite quickly.  But it all worked out in the end!  By November 30th I had a 50,000 word first draft!  How exhilarating!  And what is this novel about, you might ask?  Here's the synopsis:

In 1932, Camille Westford wakes up in an insane asylum, with no memory of the events proceeding her admittance.  She meets a quirky schizophrenic, Ingrid, and together they explore the secrets of the asylum's horrible practices, as well as Camille's mysterious past.

So right now I am editing away, and hopefully you will see "Committed" on a book shelf near you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment